Welcome to the Nursery at First Presbyterian Church!
My name is Karen Fitts, and I am the Nursery Coordinator. I use my years of practicing nursing and teaching preschool to care for your children in the Nursery and maintain a safe, nurturing environment for your child. Our dedicated Nursery Staff realizes that you are allowing us to care for your greatest treasure, and we are grateful for the opportunity to serve you. We wish to provide your children with an atmosphere of comfort and security while they are in our care. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to call me at (615) 298-9519 or email@example.com.
Nursery Hours and Availability
(No reservation needed)
Sunday mornings | 8:15 – 12:15 P.M.
Sunday evenings | 5:15 – 7:00 P.M.
Wednesday nights | 5:45 – 7:15 P.M.
Nursery Care is for children age 3 years and younger. The Nursery opens 15 minutes prior to a worship service/event, and closes 15 minutes after it concludes. It is open for most special worship services including Thanksgiving Eve Christmas Eve, Ash Wednesday, Maundy Thursday, and Good Friday. It is also available during certain weekday church events with a reservation, such as ME Mornings and select Presbyterian Women circles. Click here to register for Nursery Care.
Things to Bring (all labeled with your child’s name in a clearly labeled diaper bag):
- Change of clothing
- Bottle/sippy cup
- Diapers/pull ups (if used)
- Comfort items (blanket, pacifiers, or a stuffed toy) are welcome and encouraged.
Things to Know:
- Children should be free of fever, vomiting or diarrhea for at least 24 hours before coming to the Nursery.
- If your child is inconsolable or suddenly ill, a text message will be sent to the parent’s cell phone(s). When a child is upset, our Nursery Staff will comfort them within an appropriate time frame for his/her age. If the child is inconsolable, a parent will be asked to provide comfort– not necessarily to remove the child, but to help soothe and calm them, in order to help the child develop trust for the caregivers in their group. If your child is suddenly ill, your child will need to go home. Due to a limited number of beepers, we will only offer beepers to families who need this option.
- It is important that a parent return to the Nursery promptly if they are texted/paged. Early Childhood Development shows that attachment during the early years of life is fundamental to developing trust – the core of all healthy relationships. For young children, trust is developed by consistently and responsively meeting their needs, and requires an active partnership between both parents and other caregivers.
- Please make sure that both parent’s cell phone numbers are accurately listed on the roster. If a number has changed or is not listed correctly, please write down the correct number. Parents can highlight which number they prefer we use on a particular morning; if no preference is specified, our default will be to contact both parents.
For a full list of Nursery Guidelines, click here.
Children are placed into Nursery groups based on their age and developmental stage. We use the child’s age on August 15th (of the current year) to determine their group. Because consistent relationships with caregivers and peers are very important to young children, we do not “age-up” children throughout the year based on their birth date.
Children in the Wee Angels, Baby Doves or Little Lambs groups will remain in their assigned group until a developmental (ie. crawling, walking) signals a group change. Karen Fitts will work with parents to determine if/when a group change is appropriate for their child. Children in the Rainbow, Sun and Moon groups will remain in their assigned group for the duration of the school year.
The Wee Angels group is for infants 6 weeks to 6 months. Their room is equipped with developmentally appropriate toys for your little one, and the caring Staff create a calm, safe environment for these babies!
Our Baby Doves group is for older babies who have begun crawling. Their room is inviting and has lots of space to explore safe, fun and educational toys. There are many places where children can crawl and pull up safely.
The Little Lambs group is for 1-year-olds and toddlers who are mobile and ready to explore. Children in this room enjoy our simple Sunday School curriculum, including a Bible lesson, music, and activities.
The Rainbow and Sun groups are for 2-year-olds. Each room is equipped with toys to encourage imaginative play. Sunday School includes a Bible lesson with activities and music and is taught by devoted volunteer teachers.
The Moon group is for 3-year-olds. Each room is designed to encourage self-exploration through learning centers. Sunday School includes a Bible story, activities, and music.
Click here to register for Nursery Care.
VIP Parents Visitors
Parents are so important to our Nursery, as they provide the Christian nurture our youngest children need. Twice a year, in October & February, we invite parents to join the Nursery on a Sunday morning in a unique role. Parents will have opportunity to observe, get acquainted with the Staff and other families, and ask questions. They will also accompany the Nursery Staff in reading Bible stories, engaging children in simple faith-building activities and songs. More information and a sign-up is provided to parents directly via email. Please check on our Register page for the most current sign-ups.
Our church offers the Sacrament of Baptism for people of all ages, including infants and children. You can read more about Baptism at First Presbyterian Church here. If you would like to schedule a Baptism, please contact Susan Kirby at (615) 298-9540.